How to Clean Silver Jewellery at Home
Cleaning sterling silver jewellery is essential to ensure your special pieces are sparkling for when you want to wear them. When your jewellery shines, you do too, which is why it's so important to keep it looking its gorgeous best! With our easy step by step guide you'll be able to keep your sterling silver pieces looking brand new.
3 Easy Steps to Clean Sterling Silver Jewellery
See how to clean sterling silver jewellery with our 3 step guide to keeping your pieces looking brand new.
- Mix bicarbonate of soda with some lukewarm water to make a paste. Apply to your sterling silver jewellery and leave on for a few minutes.
- Gently rub the paste with a paper towel or microfiber cloth to clean it off. You can use a small brush or toothbrush for the more intricate areas.
- Rinse the paste off with cold water and buff to dry for a polished finish.
3 TIPS TO CLEAN SILVER EARRINGS
Cleaning your favourite silver stud earrings or bold huggies can be done simply at home.
- Remove your sterling silver earrings
- Place in a saline solution, removing any dirt gently
- Take out of the saline and pat dry with a clean cloth
- If you have gemstone or diamond earrings you can clean the silver with a very soft toothbrush
HOW TO CLEAN SILVER RINGS
Rings can often be a piece of jewellery that tarnishes - however this shouldn't be the case with sterling silver. You can clean your favourite silver stacking rings with these tips:
- Use silver polish on a soft cloth to buff the surface.
- Rub only up and down rather than in circles.
- Rinse the wide band rings or dainty bands with warm water to remove the polish.
How Often Should You Clean Sterling Silver Jewellery?
Your everyday pieces of sterling silver jewellery won't tarnish too quickly. This is partly because of the properties of sterling silver. As a metal, it doesn't react with other chemicals easily, so it should stay looking clean for a long time. At Monica Vinader, we use recycled sterling silver to ensure our jewellery is as sustainable as possible.
The sterling silver pieces that sit in your personalised
accessory box unworn for a while are more likely to become
tarnished jewellery. Whether these are your silver earrings for a
special occasion, or an everyday silver chain you never take off.
You need to know how to clean sterling silver jewellery to keep
your favourite items looking their best.
Your everyday items that get a lot of wear, like dainty silver rings and classic silver necklaces, will need cleaning less often due to the frequent wear keeping them buffed.
Your special occasion designs like heartfelt pendants or bold
bracelets will need polishing more frequently because they don't
get as much friction. You need to know how to clean sterling silver
jewellery in order to enjoy your accessories for longer.
Once you've discovered how to style sterling silver, the next step is caring for it.
THE BEST WAYS TO CLEAN SILVER NECKLACES
A silver chain necklace is a must have staple for many jewellery fans. Here's how to clean this silver design with ease:
- Place your silver necklaces in your baking powder and warm water solution.
- Leave to sit for a few minutes before rinsing with clean water.
- Dry your necklaces with a clean, soft cloth.
HOW TO KEEP SILVER BRACELETS SPARKLING
Charm bracelets and other designs can be intricate and in need of a clean from time to time. Here's our top tips to clean a sterling silver bracelet:
- Either follow the same method as to clean your silver necklaces.
- Or create a mixture of warm water with mild detergent to soak your bracelet for a few moments before rinsing it off.
- Use a soft cloth to dry your piece.
How to Care for your sterling silver jewellery FAQS
When learning how to clean sterling silver jewellery, you need to know what to avoid. This is so you don't accidentally harm or hinder your favourite pieces. Taking proper care of your pieces will help them to last longer and keep them looking their